2009 Sister Cecilia Bush Award nominations open
Created on Thursday, 05 February 2009 10:33
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2009 Sister Cecilia Bush Award presented by Sisters of St. Joseph Dear Neighbor Ministries.
This award was established in 2007 to honor Sister Cecilia for a lifetime of distinguished service to the church in education, communications and development.
Those nominated for the honor are people who have lived a life of service similar to that of Sister Cecilia.
As an educator she is known for her years at Cathedral High School and St. Mary of the Plains College.
She also served the Diocese of Wichita as editor of the Catholic Advance and as an advisor to many priests during their years of formation in the seminary.
The award will be presented to the person or persons, selected by a panel of judges, who exemplifies the wishes of the founder of the Congregation of St. Joseph to serve the dear neighbor with the same devotion as Joseph had for Jesus and Mary.
• Nominees must meet one or more of the following criteria to be considered by the judges:
• Nominees have demonstrated outstanding achievement in their chosen field or profession.
• Nominees have fully embraced a ministry to benefit those in need.
• Nominees have shown leadership and excellence in education, service or the arts.
• Nominees have promoted the common good in their personal and professional life.
• Nominees have taken risks and/or shown creative approaches to addressing needs of the community.
• Nominations for this year must be received by March 31, 2009. Forms can found on the Dear Neighbor Ministries website (www.csjdearneighbor.org ) or by calling the Mission Advancement office at (316) 689-4061.
Those honored last year were; Debbie Snapp of Dodge City, Charles Smith of Pittsburg, Kans., Sister Kathleen Regan, Sister Margaret Nugent, Father Donald O’Hare all of Wichita.
The 2009 awards will be presented May 8, 2009 at a dinner held at Mount St. Mary Convent in Wichita. Proceeds from the event will benefit the programs and people served by Dear Neighbor Ministries.