CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF DODGE CITY
Monthly Notes from Bishop Brungardt
and the Diocesan Staff
December 2013 --- Vol. XI, No. 12
From Most Rev. John B. Brungardt, Bishop of Dodge City:
► 2014 Bishops Synod needs help in assessing challenges faced by families/couples, scheduled October 2014 with the theme, The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization. The purpose of the Synod is to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the family.
Please refer specifically to the question number and part in your input (for example, 3a). Thank you for your time and prayers for families and for this 2014 Synod on the Family. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, pray for us. Thank you and may God bless you.
► Save the Date: World Day for Consecrated Life will be celebrated Saturday, February 1, 2014 at Sacred Heart Church, Larned. Mass at 10:30 with dinner following. All are invited!
► Pope Francis to Launch Global Hunger Campaign
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013, Pope Francis will launch a worldwide movement to respond to the needs of the poor and vulnerable in our midst by praying and acting to end hunger. Click here to read more…
► RCIA Retreat - “Journeys to Conversion”
Feb. 15, 2014 Our Lady of Guadalupe Cathedral in Dodge City (Spanish and English) For the English session, click here. For the Spanish session, click here.
Feb. 22, 2014 Heartland Center for Spirituality in Great Bend (English Only)
Saturday 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (Registration between 8:45 and 9:15 a.m.)
Presenters: Ann Axman and Judy Spangler (English) & Sister Maria Elena Martinez-Sifuentes, MCMI (Spanish)
This retreat is a time of reflection and prayer with others who are also engaged in the RCIA program. It is designed as a preparation for the Lenten scrutinies but not intended to replace the scrutiny process in the parish. This RCIA retreat is for catechumens, candidates, sponsors and teams as part of the recommended RCIA formation process for the Diocese.
To register contact Ann Axman at the Heartland Center for Spirituality:
Registration Fees: $55 per parish and $15 per person. (Lunch charge is included and family fees negotiable.) Please Register for retreat in Dodge City by Jan. 31, 2014 and retreat in Great Bend by Feb. 7th 2014. Registration form is attached here.
From Georgina Paz, Employee Benefits Administrator:
► It is with great joy we announce Mr. Mark Roth as the new Development Director. Mark and his wife Lila are parishioners of St. Anthony of Padua in Liberal. He is a Past State Deputy of the Knights of Columbus in Kansas. Mark will begin his ministry with the Catholic Diocese of Dodge City on December 16, 2013. I invite you to read the upcoming issue of the Southwest Kansas Catholic Register which will feature a story about Mark.
► Report for Fall lesson due no later than December 7
All of the forms for the above may be found on the Safe Environment page under the Safe Environment Religious Education Curriculum tab http://www.dcdiocese.org/safe-environment/safe-environment-religious-education-curriculum
From Sr. Janice Grochowsky, CSJ, JCL, Chancellor:
► Testimonials and Celebrets:
A reminder to priests and deacons: If you will be celebrating any ministerial function in another diocese, you need to inform Sister Janice to send a testimonial of suitability on your behalf to that diocese with the dates and places you intend to be.
On the same topic, a reminder that if you have invited another priest or deacon to your parish for any ministry (a parish mission, a retreat, to celebrate a baptism, etc.), that priest/deacon’s diocese is to send us a testimonial of suitability for them.
At a recent conference I learned that some dioceses are no longer accepting celebrets as proof for suitability. Rather, testimonials issued just prior to one’s presence in another diocese is becoming the norm.
Testimonial templates may be found on the Chancellor page of the diocesan website: http://www.dcdiocese.org/chancellor
► December 8 – Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
This year December 8, 2013 falls on the Second Sunday of Advent. Sundays of the liturgical seasons of Advent, Lent and Easter take precedence. Therefore, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to Monday, December 9. However, the obligation to attend Mass does not transfer. The Optional Memorial of St. Juan Diego is omitted this year.
From Fr. Rene Labrador, Chair, Presbyteral Council:
► Click here to view the Presbyteral Council Notes from November 19, 2013. The Next meeting is Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 11 am. Please note there is no meeting in December.
From Fr. Wesley Schawe, Director of the Office of Priestly Vocations:
► Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe Coverage - Pastors—are you in a bind for covering your parish needs for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe? I’m available to assist with some of your obligations for the Feast. Don’t worry—this doesn’t “use up” my annual weekend vocations visit to your parish(es). Please find the weekend that’s best for you.
► New Prayer Cards - Every parish will receive special prayer cards to pray for our seminarians and for all religious vocations for the Catholic Diocese of Dodge City. The cards will arrive by UPS along with the January 12, 2014 issue of the Southwest Kansas Register. Please distribute the cards following the weekend Mass on January 11th and 12th.
► Andrew Dinners - are an evening for pastors to invite and accompany their young men for a great dinner, conversation, and prayer with Bishop John—with a focus not just on the priesthood, but on God’s call for every Catholic young man to live an extraordinary life. The dates and hosting sites are:
|January 2||(College)||Bishop John's Residence|
|January 19||(High School)||Mary, Queen of Peace, Ulysses||Garden City Deanery|
|January 24||(Post-College||Bishop John's Residence|
|January 26||(High School)||St. John the Apostle, St. John||Great Bend Deanery|
|February 9||(High School)||Sacred Heart, Ness City||Dodge City Deanery|
► A New Cycle for Weekend Parish Visits - Beginning with the 1st Sunday of Advent (December 1, 2013), I will start a new cycle of visiting each one of the parishes. If you already know of a weekend that would be good for me to come, please call me soon. I will do my best to accommodate your request.
► Standing up for Life on the 41st Anniversary of Roe v. Wade!
Register your youth now for the Diocese of Dodge City pro-life pilgrimage to Topeka on Wednesday, January 22, 2014. Join Fr. Wesley and other pro-life leaders for a day of prayer, activity, and public witness to the value of every human life.
▪ Open to High School and College-age youth and sponsors.
▪ Bus will depart from Dodge City at 5:00 am and stop in Great Bend to pick up others at 6:30 am.
▪ The day’s activities will include a youth breakout session, Mass with Bishop Brungardt, lunch, a rally, and a rosary on the steps of the Capitol building.
▪ Leave Topeka around 4:00 to return back to the Diocese, with return stops in Great Bend and Dodge City.
▪ Cost is $35 for youth and youth leaders (includes lunch, transportation, youth session, rally);
▪ Donations are welcome to cover additional costs.
▪ Participants will need $$ for supper in Salina on the way home.
From Eric Haselhorst, Director of Stewardship:
► Give the gift of a pilgrimage this Christmas. The Pilgrimage to St John Vianney Seminary in Denver Colorado is scheduled for March 27-28-29 of 2014. Get all the details here: http://www.dcdiocese.org/stewardship
► The 2014 Stewardship bulletin announcements are live in a MS Word document at http://www.dcdiocese.org/stewardship/bulletin-inserts. Download/copy/paste as you wish.
From Coleen Stein, Director of Catechist Formation & Pastoral Ministry:
January 2014 Catechist Formation Sessions & Follow-up Sessions
► Via Interactive Television
"Engage the Believer: How Catechists Proclaim the Good News"
Presenter: Bishop John B. Brungardt
Saturday, Jan. 11 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Wednesday, Jan. 15- 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday, Jan. 12 - 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Spanish)
► Follow up Sessions
English - Wed. Feb. 5 & Apr. 2 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Spanish – Sun. Feb. 2 & Apr. 6 from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Pastoral Ministry Formation Spring 2014
► Introduction to Old Testament - 3 hour course
Instructor: Fr. Terrance Klein
Saturday mornings 8:30 to 12:00 noon via Interactive Television
Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 15, 22, Mar. 1, 8, 15, 22
► Ways the World Wounds – 1 hour course
Instructor: Fr. Steve Heina
Sunday afternoons 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. via Interactive Television
Jan. 19, 26, Feb. 16, Mar. 23
From Steven Polley, Office of Youth Ministry and Religious Formation:
► We are offering a TEC weekend, December 28 – 30 to be held at St. Dominic Parish in Garden City. Please encourage the juniors and seniors of your parish to say yes to this incredible encounter with our risen Lord.
► A big thank you to all who made NCYC possible with support and prayers. It was an incredible experience for all who participated.
From Around the Diocese:
► Reminders: Please check that the voicemail greeting has accurate Mass times mentioned or that the information being said is up-to-date.
A reminder to all parishes to please check the bulletin corner here periodically for any upcoming events throughout the diocese.
► Catholic Social Service:
1. The Catholic Social Service Annual Appeal begins on December 1st. A packet of collection envelopes and Bulletin announcements have been assembled for each parish. Please distribute and/or make these collection envelopes available for your parishioners, and include an announcement about the Catholic Social Service appeal in your bulletin throughout the month of December. Please encourage parishioners to support the Catholic Social Service Annual Appeal, as proceeds support those in need throughout our diocese. Thank you!
2. We would like to help Shayle Shute, one of our Teen Mom participants, pay off the funeral expenses for her son, Julian. To learn more, and to make a donation, please visit https://www.youcaring.com/JuliansFuneral.
3. The Catholic Social Service 2013 Annual Report has been published and is available here:http://catholicsocialservice.org/home/files/doc_view/132-2013-annual-report?tmpl=component&format=raw
4. Kimple Furniture & Gifts, 113 N. Main in Ellinwood, is donating 100% of the profits on all sales to Catholic Social Service from 3 to 8 pm on Thursday, November 14th. If you are in the area, and if you need furniture and gifts, please support this fundraiser.
5. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are fast approaching and it is a perfect time to help us help those in need without it costing you a thing . . . IF you'll do a couple of simple things for us before you start your Christmas shopping:
6. Save the Date: The 2014 Catholic Social Service Wine Tasting Event has been scheduled for Friday, May 2nd at the Knights of Columbus hall in Great Bend.
7. St Francis Community Services is looking for parents to foster or adopt children and teens. Foster and adoptive parents are caring adults who do not need to be wealthy, live in a big house, or be married; What is essential is that they have room in their homes and hearts for children in need of a safe place to heal. St Francis will be sending information about their Foster Care and Adoption programs to all of the parishes. Please share this information with those who may be interested in providing foster care, or a forever home for children in need.
8. Free infant formula is available at all three Catholic Social Service offices for young parents who are struggling to make ends meet. If you would like to have some at your parish for those in need, please call the Catholic Social Service office at 620-792-1393 to make arrangements for pick-up or delivery.
9. Please help Catholic Social Service save money and paper by subscribing to the Catholic Social Service e-Newsletter at http://catholicsocialservice.org/home/newsletter. We include monthly articles and tips for families, relationships, making ends meet, and more, in southwest Kansas.
10. Kansas Catholic Charities relationship education and marriage enrichment workshops are taking place statewide. Pre-registration is required for these free workshops. To sign up for these classes in southwest Kansas, go to http://www.kansasloveletters.com/Event-Calendar.4.html?region=Southwest.
Vol. XI, No. 12