CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF DODGE CITY
Monthly Notes from Bishop Brungardt
and the Diocesan Staff
November 2013 --- Vol. XI, No. 11
From Most Rev. John B. Brungardt, Bishop of Dodge City:
► Save the Date: Pre-Lenten Day of Recollection - Priests, please mark your calendar: Pre-Lenten Day of Recollection, Thursday, February 27th, 10am, Cathedral. Bishop Weisenburger will lead the Day of Recollection. Social and Dinner at the K of C follows. More information will be forthcoming.
All orders received to date have been placed. If you did not receive a confirmation email about your order, please contact Alba. A sincere thank you to those who’ve placed orders, for your patience as we adjust to the changes happening at the Chancery.
Workbook for Lectors 2014 USA
Manual Para Proclamadores 2014
Sourcebook for Sundays, Seasons, & Weekdays 2014
Year of Grace 2014 Calendars (Several options available)
Large Laminated Liturgical Calendars
Celebrating Sundays for Catholic Families
At Home with the Word
Palabra de Dios
Visiting the Sick & Homebound 2014
From Georgina Paz, Employee Benefits Administrator:
► Report for Fall lesson due no later than December 7
All of the forms for the above may be found on the Safe Environment page under the Safe Environment Religious Education Curriculum tab http://www.dcdiocese.org/safe-environment/safe-environment-religious-education-curriculum
► The Protecting God’s Children awareness sessions currently on the calendar are:
Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
St. Mary Church Parish Center
510 N 12th St.
Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.
St. Mary Church Parish Center
510 N. 12th St
Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Mary, Queen of Peace Parish Center
302 W. Wheat
Saturday, November 23, 2013 9:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. (Mountain Time)
St. Raphael Parish Hall
608 N. Sumner St.
From Sr. Janice Grochowsky, CSJ, JCL, Chancellor:
► Testimonials and Celebrets:
A reminder to priests and deacons: If you will be celebrating any ministerial function in another diocese, you need to inform Sister Janice to send a testimonial of suitability on your behalf to that diocese with the dates and places you intend to be.
On the same topic, a reminder that if you have invited another priest or deacon to your parish for any ministry (a parish mission, a retreat, to celebrate a baptism, etc.), that priest/deacon’s diocese is to send us a testimonial of suitability for them.
At a recent conference I learned that some dioceses are no longer accepting celebrets as proof for suitability. Rather, testimonials issued just prior to one’s presence in another diocese is becoming the norm.
Testimonial templates may be found on the Chancellor page of the diocesan website: http://www.dcdiocese.org/chancellor
► December 8 – Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
This year December 8, 2013 falls on the Second Sunday of Advent. Sundays of the liturgical seasons of Advent, Lent and Easter take precedence. Therefore, the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is transferred to Monday, December 9. However, the obligation to attend Mass does not transfer. The Optional Memorial of St. Juan Diego is omitted this year.
From Fr. Rene Labrador, Chair, Presbyteral Council:
► No Presbyteral Council meeting is held in October due to the annual Clergy Convocation. Click here to view the Presbyteral Council Notes from September 19, 2013. The Next meeting is Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 11 am.
From Fr. Wesley Schawe, Director of the Office of Priestly Vocations:
► “Encounter” Visit to Conception Seminary is November 9-11, 2013
Encounter With God’s Call offers an alternative campus visit. High school juniors, seniors, along with college guys can spend two nights at Conception Seminary College and explore seminary life through prayer, talks, and recreation.
There is no charge for the weekend and transportation is provided. Register online at http://dcdiocese.org/vocations/discernment-events
► A New Cycle for Weekend Parish Visits
Beginning with the 1st Sunday of Advent (December 1, 2013), I will start a new cycle of visiting each one of the parishes. If you already know of a weekend after that date that would be good for me to come, please call me soon. I will do my best to accommodate your request.
► Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe Coverage
Pastors—are you in a bind (linguistically or geographically) for covering your parish needs for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe? As of now, I’m available (and happy) to assist with some of your obligations for the Feast. Don’t worry—this doesn’t “use up” my annual weekend vocations visit to your parish(es). Please find the weekend that’s best for you.
► Standing up for Life on the 41st Anniversary of Roe v. Wade!
Tentative plans are underway for young people from the Diocese of Dodge City to once again be present in Topeka, KS on January 22, 2014. As in years past, this one day bus trip will provide high school and college-age students from Southwest Kansas the opportunity to prayerfully, actively, and visibly stand up for life with others from throughout the state.
More information to come—mark your calendars and tell your youth!
From Eric Haselhorst, Director of Stewardship:
► The 2013 Stewardship Renewal is alive and well. Uncertain about what to do? No worries, the stewardship webpage is full of resources to make the process easier. Do’s and Don’ts, homilies, and assorted instructions to guide the process. See it here: Renewal Resources Page.
► To make the renewal hassle free use google drive (formerly known as Google docs) to create a simple form for people to use. Parishioners can easily fill out their time and talent form online, an email link, or right on your website. See Cathedral of Our Guadalupe’s Form Click here. Find Google drive by clicking here
Another handy tool is Sign Up Genius. A great online tool to keep track of volunteers in Real time. Check it out.
Both tools above are FREE.
If there is any way I can assist a parish during the 2013 renewal please contact my office.
From Steven Polley, Office of Youth Ministry and Religious Formation:
► To everyone who has helped support the young people and adult chaperones as they have and continue to prepare for the pilgrimage to NCYC in Indianapolis, I say thank you. Thank you for walking this journey with them. Thank you for supporting them and encouraging them to continue this pilgrimage upon their return to the parish, school and community.
As we look at final preparation before they depart for NCYC on November 20. I invite you to prepare and offer a form of sending forth blessing that could be done during the weekend Liturgies the weekend of November 16 – 17. I thank you for this and for you continued prayer.
► Also, I would like for you to be aware that we are offering a TEC weekend, December 28 – 30 to be held at St. Dominic Parish in Garden City. Please encourage the juniors and seniors of your parish to say yes to this incredible encounter with our risen Lord.
From Around the Diocese:
► A reminder to all parishes to please check the bulletin corner here periodically for any upcoming events throughout the diocese.
► Catholic Social Service:
1. We would like to help Shayle Shute, one of our Teen Mom participants, pay off the funeral expenses for her son, Julian. To learn more, and to make a donation, please visit https://www.youcaring.com/JuliansFuneral.
2. The Catholic Social Service 2013 Annual Report has been published and is available here: http://catholicsocialservice.org/home/files/doc_view/132-2013-annual-report?tmpl=component&format=raw
3. Kimple Furniture & Gifts, 113 N. Main in Ellinwood, is donating 100% of the profits on all sales to Catholic Social Service from 3 to 8 pm on Thursday, November 14th. If you are in the area, and if you need furniture and gifts, please support this fundraiser.
4. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are fast approaching and it is a perfect time to help us help those in need without it costing you a thing . . . IF you'll do a couple of simple things for us before you start your Christmas shopping:
- Bookmark our website where you can access Amazon through our Bookstore, or through the Amazon Search Box that is located in the bottom left corner of our home page. Catholic Social Service will receive a portion from your purchases, and it doesn't cost you a thing, except the extra effort to start at our webpage so that we receive a bit of credit for your purchases.
- Set up a GoodShop Account and follow the steps to earn money for Catholic Social Service while you shop online and/or off-line.
- Sign up for iGive. and then shop normally (no special codes, no special anything) at any of over 1300 stores. The optional iGive Button works in the background to let you know you're helping when you shop.
5. Save the Date: The 2014 Catholic Social Service Wine Tasting Event has been scheduled for Friday, May 2nd at the Knights of Columbus hall in Great Bend.
6. St Francis Community Services is looking for parents to foster or adopt children and teens. Foster and adoptive parents are caring adults who do not need to be wealthy, live in a big house, or be married; What is essential is that they have room in their homes and hearts for children in need of a safe place to heal. St Francis will be sending information about their Foster Care and Adoption programs to all of the parishes. Please share this information with those who may be interested in providing foster care, or a forever home for children in need.
7. Free infant formula is available at all three Catholic Social Service offices for young parents who are struggling to make ends meet. If you would like to have some at your parish for those in need, please call the Catholic Social Service office at 620-792-1393 to make arrangements for pick-up or delivery.
8. Please help Catholic Social Service save money and paper by subscribing to the Catholic Social Service e-Newsletter at http://catholicsocialservice.org/home/newsletter. We include monthly articles and tips for families, relationships, making ends meet, and more, in southwest Kansas.
9. Kansas Catholic Charities relationship education and marriage enrichment workshops are taking place statewide. Pre-registration is required for these free workshops. To sign up for these classes in southwest Kansas, go to http://www.kansasloveletters.com/Event-Calendar.4.html?region=Southwest.
Vol. XI, No. 11